Thursday, January 28, 2010

No More Heroes 2 Review Coming Soon

 
As the title and drawing may suggest, I picked up No More Heroes 2 today.  I had planned on buying it a bit later on but my brother was going out to Best Buy to pick up Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, so I decided to tag along and grab the game I was after too.
I haven't started playing it yet so I can't say how long it will be until I'm ready to review it.  Shouldn't be too long.  Enjoy the wait.

UPDATE:  I just finished playing through the first level and beating the second boss (first boss comes at the very beginning of the game) and I'd like to give some first impressions.
To start, the game looks a bit better.  I always liked the concept of the high-contrast cell shading the first game used but it wasn't pulled off all that well.  On top of the graphical improvement (which isn't major, but very noticeable), the game also runs a lot smoother.  The original No More Heroes saw a lot of issues with lag and framerate drops...this time around, none of these as far as I've played.  This is probably due in part to the removal of the open world Santa Destroy (not really a loss since it was pretty much an annoyingly large menu).
The game definitely seems more difficult and the story a bit more serious, though not without the crude, fourth-wall-breaking humour that made me fall in love with the first game.
There's a bit more to the combat this time around as well, still keeping it simple but adding more options.  This is a very welcome update in my mind.  The only thing I don't like is that you no longer have full-control over the camera when not locked-on to an enemy.  Instead, the D-pad now allows you to dodge whether or not you're locked on to anything.  The camera does a decent job of keeping a good position though, and the C button centers it behind you.
That's all for now.  Expect a full review (hopefully) in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment