Monday, May 17, 2010

Pencil Envy

I am hereby coining a new phrase, 'Pencil Envy'.  As an obvious parody of a dirtier phrase, pencil envy is the feeling of deep jealousy of another artist's style or ability.
My name is Erik and I have pencil envy.  I am officially jealous of Sean Galloway, AKA Cheeks.  For those who don't know, he's probably most popular for doing the character designs for The Spectacular Spider-Man.  He's also done a lot of other work and I've been mesmerized by his DeviantART and Blogger pages.  His art style looks like absolutely nothing else and still manages to look so good.  Admittedly, I don't like everything he's done but that doesn't change the fact that I'm jealous that he has such a unique style that's just so unique in a good way.
Lately I've been rather frantically trying to work out my own style, making notes of everything (likes, dislikes, inspirations and just general notes) but nothing's turned up just yet.  Incidentally, consciously trying to create a personal style is probably not the best way to go about it but it's been a hard thing to ignore lately.

Remaining hopeful a style of my own will come through, I continue to draw every day noting, especially, that I need to start approaching art with more confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment