Friday, December 30, 2011

Is It a Raccoon or a Dog?

So, Christmas is over and New Years is nigh.  I don't think I'll be doing a year-end 'Best of' post this time around.  I saw lots of movies this year but didn't play very many new games.
I got Super Mario 3D Land, among other things*, and breezed through the main game rather quickly.  A review is imminent, of course, and will probably show up in no more than a week.
So yeah, the Tanooki/Tanuki suit that first appeared in Super Mario Bros. 3 has caused me bit of confusion in my life.  I think I've got it all sorted out now.
The Raccoon suit is the one that just gives you a tail and ears and lets you descend slower.  The Tanooki suit is the full-body suit based on the tanuki (a Japanese raccoon-dog) that lets you turn to stone.  In 3D Land, these abilities were combined into just the Tanooki suit; and the suit itself can be found in varying degrees of 'strength' (the basic one only has the "flying" ability, the next includes turning to stone, and there's a golden one that makes you invincible).

I'm just gonna touch on movies for a bit here.  As I said I saw a lot of movies this year; Captain America, Thor, X-Men: First Class, Winnie the Pooh, Paranormal Activity 3, Hugo, The Adventures of Tintin, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, and I think a few more that I can't remember at the moment.
Anyway, Sherlock Holmes was, without a doubt, my favourite movie this year.  Paranormal Activity 3 was the worst movie I saw this year.  I could edit the post at this point but I think it is far too amusing to just say that I remembered that I also saw Transformers 3 just as I was typing 'worst movie'.  Transformers was really bad; a hell of a lot better than Revenge of the Fallen (which I do honestly consider the worst movie I have ever seen in my life), but still bad.  Paranormal Activity 3 was worse than Transformers though so my statement is still correct.
Tintin, Hugo and Sherlock Holmes are my top recommendations for movies this year.  X-Men: First Class is up there as well.

*My Christmas haul:
-digital camera
-Super Mario 3D Land
-Batman Arkham City (PC)
-Dragon Ball Z Kai Parts 5 & 6 on blu-ray
-$100
-calendar

My Boxing Day haul:
-articulated tripod for my new camera
-new computer mouse; my old one would register between 2 and 5 clicks every time I clicked once
-new USB joypad
-portable 320GB harddrive

No comments:

Post a Comment